A look at the early years...
During the early years, all worship services were conducted entirely in German. The first English service was not conducted until June 30th 1907 under the direction of Pastor Grabau. Following the success of this trial, St. Paul's began to offer both English and German worship services. This dual-language approach continued until the appointment of Pastor Schleifer in 1925. With the support of the congregation, German services henceforth were eliminated. As part of St. Paul's 100th Anniversary Celebration in October of 2000, the corner stone of the church was removed and the contents examined. A German language Bible & confirmation book were found as well as a penny, dime and quarter each dated 1900. Lining the bottom of the box was an Amherst Bee dated July 5, 1900. On page three of the paper, St. Paul's dedication was announced.
Rev. Bartholomew Henry Schleifer (served 1925-1932) presides over a confirmation class. Rev. Schleifer was the first pastor of St. Paul's to conduct worship services entirely in English.
The Pastor's of St. Paul's Williamsville
The mid-1920s era children's choir poses with organist Cora Landel Gramm. Young Dorothy Landel Shaver is pictured in the front row, second from left. There is a stained glass window dedicated to Mrs. Gramm and a Sunday School room dedicated to Mrs. Shaver.
Rev. Heinrich Rudolph Garbau served St. Paul's from 1896-1909. During his tenure, English was introduced, the new church was built and the first organ was purchased for the Sunday School.
St. Paul's Milestones